6 Hardcore Female Action Movie Franchises of All Time

Yesterday, I was home alone, watching Locked. It is an intense movie with Anthony Hopkins and Bill Skarsgård. I was in the mood for some horror elements, but somehow the film's interesting cast drew me in. However, I had to quit halfway, as Anthony Hopkins ' cold-blooded, remotely operated punishment tactics were getting too brutal to endure at that moment. From that, I just thought of writing about hardcore women's action movies. In last week's movie post, I wrote about a few action films from this year, and The Runner is among them. Gal Gadot takes up the charge when an unknown caller kidnaps her son and demands that she perform some almost impossible tasks while she is running. It is no doubt a hardcore action movie with a female in the lead. But in this post, let's talk about some action movie franchises with female leads, that have entertained us all these years.

1.      1. Kill Bill: A movie that managed to turn me into an action movie fan for some time in those days. The 3-part franchise is about an assassin, Black Mamba, who goes on a revenge spree to find out those who had turned her life to hell. It was like " Chun chun ke maarna." And she did get her revenge along with her son.



      Quentin Tarantino's movie is so iconic that even its action moments and dialogue are used as examples in reels and shorts.  Not to forget Darryl Hannah’s nurse disguise, trying to kill The Bride in a coma, while whistling the haunting tune. Yeah, I know it's not original, but let me be honest: how many of us knew it was borrowed from a British thriller movie from the 60s, where a stalker is shown whistling the tune as he follows a woman? Kill Bill is a classic and will remain one. Uma Thurman was in her Goddess mode in this hardcore action film.

2.     2. Charlie’s Angels: There might have been an entire series from the 70s that had generated the idea of a movie with the three Angels, but again, we are a generation of Bollywood movie lovers from the 90s. For us, the 2000 film, with Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu, was everything a college-going girl would immerse herself in.  

The second part, Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle, had Demi Moore as the antagonist. This was an exciting, adventurous and funny movie by McG to watch, other than being loved by Hardcore action movie fans.

 

3.   3. Resident Evil: This 6-film franchise is set in a post-apocalyptic timeline where the Umbrella Corporation rules the world, which has been almost destroyed and is turned into a land of zombies.  Alice finds herself stranded in a hospital in Raccoon City, which man-eating zombies have infested. What follows, then, is her journey of survival. The movies are quite enjoyable, and Milla Jovovich’s action stunts keep you glued till the end. I have yet to watch the 6th and final film, The Final Chapter. But overall, an enjoyable franchise with a lead female action star.

Barring 2 films, all 4 films of this hardcore action movie franchise were directed by Paul W.S. Anderson.

 

4.    4.  Underworld: I was quite surprised to see the lovely, feminine Evelyn from Pearl Harbour turn into a deadly fighting star when the first movie, Underworld, was released. The film is about a never-ending rivalry between Vampires and Lycans. The 5-film franchise has been carried on for years by Kate Beckinsale’s powerful and commanding presence. She plays Selene, a Vampire warrior who fights for good. Although I am not a particular fan of the last movie and watched it only for Kate Beckinsale, I can assure you that the whole hardcore action franchise would be a great watch for action movie lovers.

 

5.     5. The Hunger Games: The character of Katniss became a worldwide sensation among movie lovers after the film was released. (It was already popular with book lovers). I watched the movie first, as always. And Jennifer Lawrence has managed to make every scene memorable throughout the 4-movie franchise. The 5th is in production, according to Wikipedia.

The story is about a post-apocalyptic world where the elite run the world and play a survival game, from which only one contender emerges victorious. The movies are so addictive, and Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss is beyond fabulous.

 

6.     6. Lara Croft: I think it is a Video Game character, if I am not wrong. Whatever it may be, for me it would always be Angelina Jolie, with her remarkable presence in the 2-movie franchise.

I am not sure how many times I have watched both movies. The action was amazing, and in The Cradle of Life, the train scene with Gerard Butler (another reason to love the movie) was simply Oo La La. Lara Croft is an archaeologist who will risk anything for her pursuit of adventure. Good Lord, I am going to watch it over again.

           

 This post was created for the Blogaberry Creative (Monthly) Challenge with theme word  Hard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Durbin (Binoculars)

That Same Forest, That Same Fire #BlogchatterBloghop

Top 5 Classic Bengali Patriotic Films #EveryConversationMatters