Book Review: Reason to Fight by Chandrayan Gupta

Well, well, what a rainy Tuesday. Isn't it time for an edgy thriller? Though not a thriller, per se, I finished watching Spider Noir, and my, my, did I not love it? I was a bit upset watching Nicholas Cage in Longlegs. I mean that same guy who used to make a wheel look sexy ( Ghost Rider, Con Air, Gone in 60 Seconds ), turning to an almost faceless serial killer, hmmm. So Spider Noir brought back that old Cage back, and I loved watching him once again. Coming back to thrillers, I picked up quite a different sort of thriller this time: Reason to Fight by Chandrayan Gupta. 

About the Book

A troubled teenager's death is passed off as suicide by the police, while his father, a noted actor, suspects foul play. Private detective Radha Bose takes up the case and digs into the strange world of the dead teenager, along with the help of her newly appointed assistant, Aditya Gokhale. What they find about the people involved shocks them and the readers equally.

About the Author

Chandrayan Gupta is a law graduate with a previous award-winning psychological thriller, Motherson, to his credit. He is a writer on the platform Medium, with more than 400 articles spanning various topics of his interest.

Here are his social network profiles:

Instagram: @chandrayan_gupta

Medium: @thechandrayangupta


The Synopsis

Radha Bose is an alcoholic private investigator with an army background. His newly appointed assistant, Aditya Gokhale, is going through severe depression and anxiety. The duo embarks on a mysterious death of a teenager. The investigation is filled with strange revelations and exposes the darker side of human nature, what people are capable of and how much they can stoop themselves to get what they want.

Review of Reason to Fight

For the last few days, barring the books I had reviewed on my blog, I had been reading only mushy romantic stories, and that ain't good news for me. Psychological thrillers are my favourite genre, and this book kept me on the edge throughout. It has moments of tremendous action, some in-depth descriptions of internal state while going through severe depression, and, above all, a peek-a-boo into human nature and what it is capable of. 

The narration is descriptive, blending effortlessly with the ongoing events and adventures our detective duo, Radha and Aditya, get into. The story never stretches on one single incident as the mystery unfolds step by step, revealing the weirdest truth, often unimaginable. 

The author's in-depth research and knowledge of human and criminal psychology are evident from every line. Through his parallel descriptions, we get a glimpse of today's complicated world of teenagers, their inner demons and internal struggles and a reflection of their mental health, due to adult interference. This aspect, along with the descriptions of various places in Kolkata, is woven seamlessly and keeps on appearing now and then, without interfering with the plot.

A new detective duo is good news for lovers of the Psychological thriller genre. I am waiting for the second book, and there is a hint at the end as well. 

Reason to Fight is a gripping psychological thriller that delves into the darkest corners of the human psyche and reveals the worst it can do to fulfil its desires. 

Available at Amazon here, Reason to Fight is a great read for thriller lovers


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Durbin (Binoculars)

That Same Forest, That Same Fire #BlogchatterBloghop

Top 5 Classic Bengali Patriotic Films #EveryConversationMatters