Book Review: The Simplest Guide to Religion by Tomichan Matheikhal

Being an overthinker is a disguised blessing. One might feel restless, doubtful, and annoyed by the inner turmoil, but once you get over that state, you realise this was a necessary phase. And what can bring about such a stir in one's mind than a good book! The Simplest Guide to Religion by Tomichan Matheikal falls under this category. Earlier, when I read something that tickles my thinking cells, I used to read it in one go. But now I prefer to take my time, read chapters with breaks in between, and read something light-hearted. This I call a breather. I took breathers in between reading the book, because I wanted to think while reading. 

About the Book: 

The book, The Simplest Guide to Religion, is rightly referred to as a guide to acquiring knowledge about the human tendency to lean towards the sacred- the reason, the causes, the philosophies and the effect. The author has brilliantly segmented each doctrine, beginning with the primitive practices of worshipping natural forces, to the modern concepts of varied beliefs and principles.


About the Author

One of the most acclaimed bloggers of our times, Tomichan Matheikal's writing has been widely read through his earlier books and his blog. His profound knowledge is reflected in his writings, which mostly cover a liberal take on the subjects that are often looked upon with prejudice. Some of his earlier books are: Autumn Shadows, Life's Magic and Coping with Life. A teacher by profession, he has been a source of inspiration for his fearless writing.

The Synopsis:

The book is a reflection of the practices of religion across the world throughout the centuries. Why were religion or religious practices started? Why did humans start to believe in a supernatural force that controls everything, and how did it somehow become a means of gaining power for selfish reasons? 


The Learning:

When I was young, we had a small black stone placed in front of all other pictures and idols of Gods and Goddesses in our small portable temple. It was called a Narayan Shila- a black stone that is worshipped as God Narayan (Vishnu). I used to bathe the Shila, decorate it with flowers and applied Chandan Tika over it, as my mother taught me. I was a devotee of Krishna, still am. So these rituals still make sense to me. This book has rightfully highlighted this practice of worshipping objects like rocks, trees, mountains, etc., that had often been considered to be the representation of the Divine. In every chapter, I came across references to varied religious practices that we see and the sources, the probable reasons and the wide effects of those. This book has been a source of immense knowledge about different doctrines and principles followed as a form of leaning towards the sacred. 

It also raises questions and concerns of growing intolerance, with religion being used as a means to gain complete control or to overpower any hindrance. As an open-minded reader, I see this book as a must-read for those who see religion as a means of spreading unity and harmony, not a weapon to destroy and divide. I also urge the new generation to read this book more and more to gain the right knowledge and understanding, free from age-old obstacles. 

This book is available on Amazon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Same Forest, That Same Fire #BlogchatterBloghop

Top 5 Classic Bengali Patriotic Films #EveryConversationMatters

Self-Reflection and Realization