Getting Skin Ready for Winter
As we can feel the claws of winter ready to touch our lives, we are getting ready to welcome the chilly season with warm clothes. We can definitely take advantage of protecting our skin at this time of the year. Winter can make our skin very dry and flaky. It is better to start taking appropriate care before its onset. Here are a few essential points to remember to make our skin winter-ready.
1. Moisturize: We must moisturize our skin without fail, even if it does not feel dry. The key is to select a moisturizer that matches our skin type. Looking out for humectants like Hyaluronic acid, glycerine, etc, in the ingredient list can make things easier. Often, our skin can look dull during this season, so ingredients like Niacinamide and Alpha Arbutin in your moisturizer can improve the skin by brightening it. Some moisturisers I enjoy using are Plum Hello Aloe moisturizer, The Face Shop Rice Water Emulsion, Quench Botanics Jeju Cherry moisturizing Gel.
2. Exfoliate: One of the best ways to keep skin dryness at bay is to exfoliate it twice a week. It is better to avoid physical exfoliators and opt for chemical exfoliators. Those suffering from pimple marks, blackheads and open pores should use BHAs like Salicylic acids and those with redness, whiteness, etc, can go for AHAs like Glycolic acid or Lactic acid. Some of my favourite picks are Dermaco Salicylic Acid Serum and Pixi Glow Tonic (glycolic acid).
3. Apply Sunscreen: No matter if the sun shines brightly or just gives out a dim light, it does not matter. We must take out that tube/bottle of sunscreen and apply it daily. This is something we cannot miss. My best picks are Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen
4. HydratingToner: This may not be everyone's choice, but if we select the right toner and use it correctly, soft, supple and wonderful skin is an assurance. If applied in 2-3 layerings, a hydrating toner can give a wonderfully plump skin. The best toners that I have used are Klairs Supple Preparation Toner and The Face Shop Rice Ceramide Toner.
5. Treatments: The one thing that can heal extreme dryness is a treatment. We can apply hydrating serums like Hyaluronic acid serum or Ceramide infused treatments. Some products I have used and liked are Chemist at Play Hydrating Serum and The Mom's Co Natural Ceramide Face Serum.