Top 6 Bengali Crime Series Streaming Now

I just realised I have watched very few movies this year, especially the Hollywood ones. I have been watching many Bengali web series, as I write about those mostly. And in the recent few weeks, I have watched many of those. Today I will be writing about those.


1. Abar Proloy 2: Saswata Chatterji is back as Inspector Animesh Dutta, after much convincing from higher authorities. He leads an investigation of a high-profile gold heist in the urban landscape of Kolkata. Some influential names resurface, but he is hell-bent on cracking the case. 

The series has become very popular, but somehow I missed the excitement of the first season. Saswata is amazing, and all the other performances are good too. The action sequences are entertaining. It is streaming on Zee5.

2. Chadmabeshi: It is always good to watch Parambrata Chattopadhyay on screen. My mother-in-law used to watch a TV serial where he appeared for a few days, but all of a sudden his character got killed and, while I had been simply sneaking to watch the serial because of him, I stopped watching it completely. 

Now, when he returned in this web series, I had to watch. He plays a goofy detective, separated from his wife, struggling to get a suitable case. He gets a very high-profile case and starts investigating. Many hidden truths come get unburied. Not a typical edgy thriller, but somehow it's watchable for Parambrata. It is streaming on Hoichoi.

3. Taarkata: An ex-cop returns home. Everyone hates him and avoids him, but the problem is he does not remember any of his past events after an almost fatal accident. This leads him to investigate some brutal cases of murders and a trafficking racket. 

Vikram Chatterji as Inspector Agni has done a commendable job. The screenplay sometimes get repeatative. Some of the action sequences are heavily influenced by South-based action movies. I liked the performance of Satyam Bhattacharya. It is streaming on Zee5.

4. Advocate Achintya Aich 3: Ritwick Chakraborty is back in this highly anticipated series. This time he is investigating another high-profile case of a housewife whose husband returns from the dead. While everyone in the family accepts his return, she is the only one who opposes it. Some very complicated backdrops and twisted realities resurface.

The series is great to watch, especially the powerful court encounters between Aich and the prosecution, played by Sabyasachi Chakraborty. There are also valid questions raised about a man's safety in marriage. The series is streaming on Hoichoi.

5. The Academy of Fine Arts: Zee 5 seems to be high on blood and violence these days. This series has an interesting star cast and some more interesting characters, all pure evil. The comparison of real art and the art of murder can raise some eyebrows. But not to forget the characters; all of them are evil here.

If we set aside these inhibitions and the fact that it's too bloody and raw, the performances are simply superb. Rudraneil Ghosh, Sourav Das, Payel Sarkar, Rahul Banerjee and Rishabh Basu- all have done an impeccable job. Actor Amit Saha, after the success of the investigative thriller Bibhishan, has once again proved himself.  A deadly and gory bloodbath, this series is something different. 

6. Ajeya: Special Task Force: This is the latest series to hit Hoichoi, loosely based on the RG Kar murder incident. 

Some of my favourite Bengali web series have been Daiini and Chotolok. And I consider this series to be one of the best ever made in Bengal. I am not going into the incidental truth or the actual events. But what it gives is a subject to think about. A girl, a human being, is brutally murdered, and an entire institute, including the higher authorities, political figures and cops, makes it a means to either escape their responsibility or to hide something more heinous. A heartfelt truth of society today. A group of people who consider themselves above the law, above any morality and keep murdering those who dare to speak the truth. 

Sohini Sarkar gives her best performance after Mandar. Her ACP Damini will remain as an iconic hero in the audience's heart for a long time. This series on Hoichoi is traumatising, devastating, but absolutely a must-watch. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Durbin (Binoculars)

That Same Forest, That Same Fire #BlogchatterBloghop

Top 5 Classic Bengali Patriotic Films #EveryConversationMatters